What to Look for in a Contractor
The ideal contractor for such a project should manage a team of their own separate contractors who specialize in the areas you have planned for your renovation. For example, your general contractor may have separate workers who are experts in dry wall, painting, plumbing, cabinetry, or electrical. Your Lake Charles contractor should have an established reputation, should be licensed and able to handle permits and inspection, and should be insured with personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage.
The Process of Choosing a Contractor
It is important to take the time to go through the proper process when finding a Lake Charles, LA bathroom remodeling contractor. Newspapers, the internet, advertisements, and personal recommendations are common ways to seek out potential contractors, but each candidate should be interviewed and background-checked before you make a decision. You should check the contractor’s provided references, asked for detailed reviews from previous customers, and establish a preliminary time-table. You should consider all possible factors, not choose simply based on the lowest bid.
Questions to Ask Contractors’ References
The bathroom remodeling contractor you choose should have a decent amount of reliable references available upon your request. Here are some examples of the types of questions you should ask when checking references:
- Would you use this contractor again?
- How did the contractor handle any complications, and were you charged for any additional work due to complications?
- Did the contractor keep you informed about the status of the project at all times?
- Was the contractor available to answer your questions and concerns?
- Did the contractor stay at or under budget, and what were any additional expenses?
- Was the project completed on time?
Questions to Ask Your Potential Contractor
There are also certain questions that you may want to bring up in your interviews, or that you should ask your chosen contractor before you seal the deal. Some example questions are:
- How long have you been in business?
- May I meet your anticipated team for my project?
- How many bathrooms similar to mine have you completed, and may I see pictures of your work?
- Will my renovation require any permits?
- Do you have proper license and insurance, and may I see the documentation?
Taking the right steps to find the perfect contractor is crucial and the task should not be taken lightly. A contractor can create the bathroom of your dreams, or destroy your living space and leave you with a mess. You should always take the time to find a contractor that you can trust.
It is highly recommended to hire a local bathroom remodeling contractors as it is often useful as both practical and money saving choice when doing bathroom remodeling.
Also, hiring bathroom contractors from your area is important because licensed local professional will be familiar with local construction codes and regulations, so you will be less likely to have problems related with local construction laws.